Length – 46 km (one way)
90% rail trail path
10% road crossings, detours
Elevation – flat with very gradual slope
Terrain – crushed stone, some gravel, asphalt (more then usual) road crossings
Skill – easy
Maps – map board at gate
Traffic – bicycles, hikers, dogs, X-country skiers – No E-bikes on Lynn Valley
Facilities – parking, outhouse, benches, picnic tables, lodging and eats in Brantford, Waterford, Simcoe and Port Dover
Highlights – railroad bridges (large in Waterford), shaded woodlots, old farming communities
Trail Fee – free
Phone – none
Access – most side roads crossings, parking suggestions:
- Brantford – end of Beckett Dr.
- Waterford – west end of Nichol St.
- Simcoe – Argyle St. (map flag)
- Port Dover – Silver Lake Lions Park
History – This was an electric railway line from 1916 till 1960 when diesel engines took over. Built to serve passengers and transport local agricultural goods such as tobacco, fruits, vegetables and flowers from greenhouses in the south. Also from Port Dover fresh fish was delivered.
The Lake Erie and Northern Electric Rail Company (LE & N) abandoned passenger service for bus coaches in 1955 as road travel was cheaper and easier.
Freight operations continued and combined service with the Grand River Railway until Canadian Pacific Rail lifted the track in the 1980’s.