Length – 38 km (one way)
95% rail trail
5% roads, detours
Elevation – A gradual slope northward.
Terrain – The trail is made of crushed stone and gravel, with some large stones and potholes.
Skill – Intermediate.
Traffic – Bicyclists, hikers, horseback riders, ATVs, and dirt bikes, as well as snowmobiles in winter.
Maps – Plenty of signage, much of it for ATV vehicles.
Facilities – Parking lots, food, and lodging can be found in Belleville and Madoc.
Highlights – Bridges, shaded forest, and natural wetlands, as well as Moria Lake, and the town of Madoc.
Trail Fee – Free.
Phone – 613-478-1444
Website – The Trail
Access – From side roads or two parking lots: one at the south trailhead where River Rd. and Cannifton Rd. N. meet, as well as on the other end of Moira Lake, at Hwy 62 and Watson Lane.
History – This route incorporates two old rails lines to make up the Trail of Two Lakes. The Grand Junction Railway opened a route in 1877 at the south end, running north from Bellville then west to Campbellford, Hastings, and Peterborough. The Canadian National Railway (CNR) abandoned the line in 1987.
In the north end, the line was built by the Belleville & North Hastings Railway Company (B & NHR). After two years of construction in was connected in 1880 to a 9-km east-west line, running past Madoc to service iron ore mining. By 1983 the CNR closed this section due to the costly repairs needed at the Moria Lake bridge.