Length – 49 km (one way)
90 % rail trail path
5 % road crossings, detours
Elevation – flat, gradual slope as with most rail trails
Terrain – crushed stone, gravel, grass, some sand (route is being upgraded)
Skill – easy by Wellington, more rough trail towards the ends
Maps – sign posts and markers
Traffic – bicycles, hikers, horses, ATV, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, X-country skiers
Facilities – parking on street, outhouse, shelter
Highlights – wineries, vineyards, farm fields, lake views, cottages
Trail Fee – free
Phone – none
Local Clubs – Bloomfield Bicycle Club
Access – Currently the best spot to start is the north end of West St. in Wellington (the Google map satellite photo and Street view is old and does not show the parking lot built)
History – The “Prince Edward Line”was built in 1879 for local transport needs. Then it was sold to the Central Ontario Railway to deliver iron ore from Bancroft to Picton for steel mills in Cleveland. Unfortunately the ore was of lower grade than expected.
By 1919 the CN Railroad ran the line serving local canneries, mills and farms. Soldiers went off to war and children to school on these tracks. Never being a profitable route, the trains stop rolling by 1996.